Roth/Holman Doubles Championship joins L.L.Bean PBA League in expanded Bayside Bowl
PORTLAND, Maine– The Professional Bowlers Association will return to Portland April 9-16 for a third consecutive year of competition that promises to be bigger, better and louder than ever.
Significant changes for 2017 include:
● An expanded Bayside Bowl complex, with eight new lanes and a mezzanine overlooking the new lanes where five ESPN television shows will be contested, meaning there will be room for twice as many enthusiastic, energetic and boisterous Maine bowling fans compared to previous years.
● New corporate partners: world-famous Maine-based retailer L.L. Bean will sponsor the 2017 L.L. Bean PBA League Elias Cup competition, and the Maine Office of Tourism’s MaineQuarterly.com will sponsor the Mark Roth/Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship.
● A bigger field of PBA players, thanks to the expansion of Bayside Bowl which allows it to now host the field of 32 teams in the Roth/Holman PBA Doubles Championship.
● In addition to live ESPN coverage of the Roth/Holman Doubles Championship on Sunday, April 16, PBA fans will be able to watch all rounds of the PBA League finals in real time via live streaming on the ESPN3/WatchESPN apps.
● A new Xtra Frame “King of Bowling” Pay Per View event: the match will pit Wes Malott, who won the last King of Bowling match contested in 2009, against 2016 PBA Player of the Year EJ Tackett and three-time Player of the Year Jason Belmonte.
“Our goal is to make this event bigger and better every year,” said Justin Alfond, co-owner of Bayside Bowl. “With L.L. Bean as the title sponsor of the PBA League Elias Cup, our partnership with the Maine Office of Tourism, we have great partners to showcase the best of Maine, and we’re planning to add something new every year to build on the excitement.”
“We can’t wait for the PBA to come back,” said Charlie Mitchell, Bayside Bowl’s managing partner. “We’re welcoming the world’s best bowlers, and we already have the most passionate fans in the sport along with incredible sponsors who realize what a big deal this event is for our state.”
Maine may rank as one of the nation’s smallest states in terms of bowling population, but those who love the sport more than make up for their modest population with a level of enthusiasm that towers over even the most populous of bowling states.
“The electric atmosphere and enthusiasm at Bayside Bowl breathed new life into the PBA League and has made it the event most looked-forward to of the year for our players,” said PBA CEO and Commissioner Tom Clark. “Moving into the new building will take things to an even higher level of intensity and excitement.
“Bayside Bowl fans are redefining the fans’ role in the PBA. They are a huge part of our commitment to keep coming back to Portland, this year and for the foreseeable future.”
The combined “Maine event” will take place from April 9-16, beginning with qualifying rounds for the MaineQuarterly.com Roth/Holman Doubles Championship leading into the live stepladder finals on ESPN on April 16 at 1 p.m. ET. The doubles field includes defending champions Anthony Simonsen and Connor Pickford; 2014 and ’15 champs Wes Malott and Norm Duke; PBA Hall of Famers, a slew of PBA Tour title winners, several of the PBA’s most talented future stars, international champions, the all-female team of Liz Johnson and Danielle McEwan and more.
PBA fans will be able to watch the preliminary doubles competition on Xtra Frame, PBA’s subscription-based live streaming bowling channel, April 10, 11 and 12, or track real time releases on pba.com’s Live Scoring feature. For Xtra Frame subscription information and broadcast times, visit pba.com or xtraframe.tv.
Bayside Bowl also will host a new Xtra Frame Pay-Per-View event, called the “King of Bowling,” that will be an invitational contest between Wes Malott, who won the last King of Bowling made-for-television special event held in 2009, vs. Tackett and Belmonte, the two more recent PBA Players of the Year and the winners of the last four PBA major championships will bowl a simultaneous three-game match with the winner advancing in a new series of XF pay-per-view events. Coverage of the special event, available exclusively on Xtra Frame for a one-time fee of $2.99 (also applies to current XF subscribers), will begin at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 13.
The L.L. Bean PBA League competition begins with a qualifying round for all teams on April 13 to determine seeding positions for the ESPN-televised Baker format elimination rounds. The April 13 qualifying round will be streamed live on Xtra Frame. The Elias Cup competition will be contested on April 15 and 16, and will air on ESPN on four consecutive Sundays at 1 p.m. ET following the doubles telecast: April 23 and 30, and May 7 and May 14.
While the PBA League finals are being taped for delayed telecast on ESPN, the shows will be live streamed on the ESPN3/ WatchESPN app. All ESPN telecasts also will simultaneously streamed on ESPN3/ WatchESPN app on the days they air.
31, Joseph Ramsdall III, Skowhegan, Maine/w-n-Sarah Pelletier, Lewiston, Maine.
32, Bayside Bowl invitational team to be announced
w-denotes woman; n-denotes non-member.
2017 L.L. BEAN PBA LEAGUE ROSTERS
● Shipyard Dallas Strikers (player-manager Norm Duke): Norm Duke, Tommy Jones, Bill O’Neill, Rhino Page, B.J. Moore.
● GEICO NYC WTT KingPins (manager Carolyn Dorin-Ballard): Pete Weber, Marshall Kent, John Szczerbinski, Danielle McEwan, Sam Cooley.
● Barbasol Motown Muscle (manager Del Ballard Jr.): E.J. Tackett, Anthony Simonsen, Josh Blanchard, Francois Lavoie, Dick Allen.
● L.L. Bean Portland Lumberjacks (manager Tim Mack): Wes Malott, Ryan Ciminelli, Liz Johnson, Kyle Troup, Bryon Smith.
● Live + Work in Maine Silver Lake Atom Splitters (manager Mark Baker): Chris Barnes, Tom Daugherty, Jesper Svensson, Shawn Maldonado, D.J. Archer.
● MaineQuarterly.com Brooklyn Styles (manager Johnny Petraglia): Sean Rash, Parker Bohn III, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Jason Sterner, Jon Van Hees.
● Lee Auto Malls L.A. X (manager Andrew Cain): Jason Belmonte, Stuart Williams, Martin Larsen, Osku Palermaa, Jakob Butturff.
● Sysco Philadelphia Hitmen (manager Jason Couch): Dom Barrett; Tom Smallwood; Chris Loschetter, Ronnie Russell, Dave Wodka.
About the PBA
The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) is an organization of more than 3,200 of the best bowlers from 27 countries who compete in PBA Tour, PBA International Tour, PBA Regional Tour, PBA Women’s Regional and PBA50 Tour events.
The PBA is in its 58th consecutive year of nationally-televised competition, reaching bowling fans around the world who follow PBA activities through the PBA Network which includes Xtra Frame, the PBA’s exclusive online bowling channel, ESPN and CBS Sports Network, and the PBA on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. PBA sponsors include Barbasol, Brunswick, Ebonite International, GEICO, Grand Casino Hotel and Resort, HotelPlanner.com, L.L. Bean, MOTIV, 900 Global, PBA Bowling Challenge Mobile Game, Storm Products and the United States Bowling Congress, among others. For more information, log on to www.pba.com.
Philadelphia, Dallas Win Overtime Thrillers as L.L.Bean PBA League Gets Underway Hitman upset No. 1 KingPins; Strikers nullify near-perfect effort by L.A. X PORTLAND, Maine – The underdog Sysco Philadelphia Hitmen and the defending […]
No. 5 qualifier climbs stepladder, topples Japan’s Shota Kawazoe for sixth career title OSAKA, Japan (Jan. 14, 2017) – E.J. Tackett of Huntington, Ind., went on a strike binge early Saturday at Bentencho Grandbowl, sweeping […]
Be the first to comment
Copyright Talk Tenpin 2006-2017 | Talk Tenpin is published by Aspire Web Media Ltd. Registered in England & Wales 6923950
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.